A Sophisticated Itinerary in Kansas CityMarch 20, 2014
If you're looking to indulge your sophisticated side, Kansas City is your destination! Check out these area museums, galleries and wine tastings to enjoy a taste of KC culture and beyond!
Your KC region travel plans start at www.kcdestinations.com!
1. Experience contemporary art and culture at the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art at Johnson County Community College (JCCC), one of America's premier contemporary art museums and the largest in Kansas. The museum presents numerous changing exhibitions annually (featuring internationally, nationally and regionally recognized artists) in its first and second floor galleries. Exhibitions are extraordinarily diverse in content, medium, and style. They may feature monumental artist installations, new media presentations, paintings, sculptures, photography, clay, etc. Through the 16 special exhibitions and its permanent collection, the Nerman connects visitors with the most innovative art and ideas of our times.
2. Take a tour and learn about the wine-making process at the Wine Barn Winery & Vineyard and don't forget the free wine tastings while you're there! Enjoy a large selection of award-winning Kansas produced grape and fruit wines that are satisfying to both the novice and experienced wine drinker. The Wine Barn Winery & Vineyard features live music concerts on Friday nights during the summer months.
3. Steal away a few moments of peace and solitude as you take a stroll among the beautiful creations at Merriam's Tim Murphy Art Gallery. Located inside the community center on Merriam Drive, this small gallery is filled with stunning pieces created by local and regional artists. Monthly exhibits are free to the public and opening night receptions offer live music and refreshments.
4. Serving wine lovers everywhere since 2003 from a picturesque location in historic downtown Parkville, MO, Wines by Jennifer has quickly become one of Kansas City's premiere entertainment destinations. Each room in the charming house at the top of Main Street represents a major wine region in the world showcasing that locale's finest small boutique wineries. The friendly and knowledgeable staff of wine enthusiasts assembles daily wine tastings complete with food pairings in the Tasting Room. An art gallery and Wine Garden coupled with special events add to the ambiance.
5. There's nothing as vogue as our past, and The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art proves that again in 2014 with a major exhibition in collaboration with the Museé du quai Branly in Paris and New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Plains Indians: Artists of Earth and Sky explores the creative brilliance and cultural traditions from Indian Nations including the Osage, Omaha, Crow and Cheyenne. A fascinating glimpse into the vision of the Plains Indians that includes works acquired by explorers Lewis and Clark, the exhibition opens this September in KC following its Paris run.
6. There's no better way to say spring than sipping a glass of wine produced by one of the four wineries on the Somerset Ridge Wine Trail. Each has it's own distinct blends and style, suitable for both novices and those with sophisticated palates. Come on down to Paola for one of the three signature spring events: Tour de Vino, an all day bike affair; Art in the Vines, an art showcase and stroll through the vineyards; or the Art & Wine Stroll, featuring more than a dozen Kansas wineries on the historic town square in Paola.