Holiday Happenings in Kansas CityNovember 08, 2013
Like the chill in the air, holiday merriment is sweeping the skylines of Kansas City. Visions of sugar plums dance in children's heads and the joy of the season envelopes us all. Experience the magic of the holiday season in the Kansas City region with age old traditions and new ones alike. Your KC region holiday cheer begins here.
1. The decorators at the spectacular Vaile Mansion, 1500 N. Liberty, Independence, MO are busy planning for another holiday season. With a theme of "Victorian Winter Wonderland", the 1881 Second French Empire red brick landmark will open on Friday, November 29th and remain open until December 30th. Tours are offered Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. The mansion will be closed December 23-25. Presented against a backdrop of stately elegance featuring 75 decorated trees of all sizes and thousands of twinkling lights adorning marble fireplaces, crystal chandeliers, painted ceiling murals and magnificent gilded mirrors, the home will feature Yuletide scenes from long ago. Cost for a guided tour is $6.00 per adult, and $3.00 per child. For details call 816-229-8293.
2. Join us for Christmas at the historic Pharis Farm on December 8th from 3:00 - 7:00 p.m. featuring music, refreshments, festive décor and costumed interpreters for $2 per person. The Pharis Farm is located at 20611 EE Highway Liberty, MO five miles east of the Downtown Liberty Square, one mile south of Liberty Country Club.
3. Kansas City is all aglow this holiday season. From the Country Club Plaza's Plaza Lights, which have been a holiday tradition for more than 80 years, to Christmas in the Park at Longview Lake with 300,000 lights and hundreds of animated figures, Kansas City is all lit up for the holidays.
4. Take the "Olde World Christmas" tour of the 1887 Victorian home decorated in it's holiday glory at Strawberry Hill Museum November 21 - January 31, 2014 located at 720 N. 4th Street, KCK 66101. Don't miss out on this annual tradition of uniquely decorated rooms. No two years are ever the same. For details call 913-371-3264.
5. Bundle up and take a stroll through 300 acres of glowing winter woods at the Holiday Luminary Walk at Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, November 29-30 and December 6-7.
6. Holidays in Merriam will bring bundles of family-friendly activities and magic of the season starting with Sun Down with Santa and Mayor's Tree Lighting on Saturday, December 6 at the Merriam Marketplace, 5740 Merriam Drive. This annual event features Santa, hot cocoa, and holiday carolers and dancers.